The advantages of having the building workers inspect the roof are self-evident. The building is already occupied, and there is no out-of-pocket expense. Building engineers should already have HVAC and other system maintenance programs in place, and adding a roof program is simple.
However, there are certain disadvantages. For one thing, people could be unsure of what to look for. Furthermore, they may not have the time or interest to go up on the roof due to other obligations. Furthermore, as staff changes, expertise may shift. Of course, apparent items like punctures, holes, and tears in the flashings, flashings that are slipping and opening up at the top, corroded metal components.
Another possibility is to hire a Roofing Contractors Los Angeles, such as an architect or engineer. Some benefits come with disadvantages. The first is that they have no financial stake in the roof survey’s outcome:
- Whether the roof is in poor or good condition, their fees remain the same. Not only the apparent problems but also the odd situations that affect roofs and cause failures are examined by a skilled roof expert.
- The consultant will also be able to explain why problems are occurring, determine the most appropriate solutions, and develop repair specifications to address issues discovered during the inspection.
- Particularly for architects, is that they are familiar with the entire structure and can see problems that are not roof-related.
Depending on the degree of individuals dispatched to do the inspection, contractors have a wide range of competence. Some are exceptional and perform professionally and competently. Others send out repair mechanics who may know how to do general repairs but are unfamiliar with the roof’s structure. If the user is used to asphalt-based roofs and has a single-ply membrane, they may lack the knowledge to conduct a thorough inspection.
Also, keep in mind that contractors make their money by performing roof repairs and replacements. So, whether they admit it or not, even the most professional contractors have an inherent bias. The program is programmed to run for a specific number of years at a specific cost. Unfortunately, when expenses rise and profits fall, this setup creates a financial disincentive for a contractor to do the marginal work that is required.
The Most Crucial Steps:
- The most crucial aspect of the check-up is to make sure that the problems identified are fixed. If individuals hire a roof consultant to conduct the inspection, they will be able to present a specification with a defined scope of work for competent contractors to bid on the repairs. If the user has hired a roofer for a maintenance program be sure to provide the contractor with a list of problems so that everything is fixed.
- Finally, look at their upcoming year’s budget. Has the user set aside funds for maintenance? A decent rule of thumb is to estimate 2% of the roof’s replacement cost. Depending on the age and condition of the roof, they will need to alter that figure up or down. One alternative is to have the expert submit a budget amount as well as an assessment of the roof’s likely remaining service.